Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Homeward Bound

Long ago Ben and I sat at 801 in Des Moines and made an ordered list of the crazy things we would spend money on if we were rich. This was hard for us to start as there are a lot of things that we don't value in more expensive form. However, first on my list has always been springing for the first class seats on long flights. I think that is money well spent!

Well, on the way home it happened, and we didnt even have to make our first milion.  We had first class seats from Zurich to Philadelphia (for those who don't recall from the beginning, we are traveling on buddy passes). There were enough open seats that we received our boarding passes early, eliminating the anxious waiting period watching people get on board and hoping to be one of them.

Our first task in first class? A free glass of prosecco while the coach passengers boarded (yes an intentional refence to "those people" I am in first class you know. And I won't be pointing out the free part anymore, up here I think we get whatever we want. That's what Billy Idol said anyway). We enjoyed the wine while perusing (yeah, perusing, in first class that's how we do it) the menu for the meals we would enjoy in flight.

I was like a little kid at a toy store, so excited about everything, including the many buttons that controlled my seat.  I could not wait for the plane to take off! The flight attendants brought a small toiletry kit to each of us with all kinds of goodies. Heck, right now I want this flight to last twice as long just to use all these cool things.



Of course, I tried to hide my excitement, hoping to blend in with the special first class experts for which the wine before take off and buttons were no big deal. Ben is much better at this kind of thing and appeared unaffected by his seat at the front of the plane. However, I imagine his inner child was giggling at the fun of it all, downright overwhelmed at how much fun this is. Damn he is good at hiding that kind of excitement...

What am I doing now? Well, I'm glad you asked, because a lot has happened since we took off. My shoes are off. And, I raised my feet, so that's pretty comfortable. I've also reclined my seat about 1/3 of the way. That lady in the infomercial with the adjustable bed has nothing on us. Ben is relaxing too, his inner child must be doing cartwheels right now. Oh, and mid-typing I received my hot towel. So, I'm all steemed and clean right now. The stench of the common folk is starting to leave me.

Aren't you hungry, you ask? Why yes, good thing they just delivered my bottle of water and snack of fancy mixed nuts (or, is the "fancy" already implied?).

Lunch? Served on white linen, but only after my appetizer and salad. Ben ordered a bloody mary and he received two mini bottles of vodka to make his own. We have real glasses too. Lunch was followed by dessert, ice cream with the toppings of our choice. These first classers don't mess around.







Other events on the flight included a long nap, a tablet so I could watch TV and movies, and another meal before landing.



Another lesson? Blogging in the air with so much free time really leads to some detail. We hope you have enjoyed this in flight play-by-play. Now, buckle your seatbelt and prepare for landing.

Special thanks to my stepmom, Eve, for busting her butt all those years so she has cool flight benefits to share with her fam.

1 comment:

  1. Oh I absolutely LOVE this post. I would have been just like you - so excited and not being able to hide it. The sleeping/relaxing pic of Ben cracks me up. And you-pick toppings for ice cream, after your own wine? It's too much. What a perfect way to end the trip!

    ReplyDelete